Nominations will be accepted until January 23, 2015.
It’s time to ask teens in grades 9-12 to consider nominating a title for the 2016 Flume Award list (even as they are now reading books on the 2015 list!).
Titles can be fiction or nonfiction books, with appeal to teens in grades 9-12. They must have a publication date within the last two years (no older than 2012). If the book is part of a series, it must be able to stand alone, meaning a reader doesn’t have to read the other books in the series to understand what’s going on.
Teens can submit their suggestions online by visiting the Flume page:
We will be accepting nominations until January 23, 2015.
Thank you for promoting the Flume Award!
This Thursday, November 20, there’s a YALS meeting at Kimball Library in Atkinson.
Meeting starts at 10am, snacks at 9:30am.
Remember to submit an evaluation for your Teen Summer Reading Program.
Here’s a quick link to the form:
This year we’re looking to fill two Board positions: Vice President / President-Elect and Treasurer.
Responsibilities for the two positions are as follows:
Vice President/President-Elect’s Duties:
1. Substitutes for the President in President’s absence.
2. Becomes Acting President upon death, resignation, or other incapacity of the President.
3. Presides upon request of President if President wishes to step down from the chair.
4. Serves as a member of the Administrative Committee, Executive Board and Finance Committee.
5. As Chair of the annual conference is in charge of Conference Planning Committee (responsible to the Executive Board).
1. Serves as a member of the Administrative Committee, Executive Board and chairs the Finance Committee.
2. Presents budget for approval by Executive Board at the first Executive Board meeting of the calendar year.
3. Presents financial reports Administrator at the annual business meeting / Fall Conference.
4. Submits accounts for annual audit to NHLA Treasurer.
5. Transfers funds from checking account to savings instruments in federally-approved agency on approval of Executive Board.
6. Treasurer should be prepared to discuss with the incoming Executive Board its fiscal responsibilities.
7. In the second year of each term, reviews Dues Schedule with Executive Board.
8. Collects YALS Conference registrations in years when a YALS Conference is held.
The Treasurer serves a two-year term.
The Vice President commits to serving one year as Vice President, one year as President, and one year as Past President.
The time goes quickly, and the positions are not particularly taxing, long descriptions notwithstanding.
We will vote at our Fall Meeting. If you have someone in mind, or are interested in the position yourself, please notify YALS Past President Kirsten Rundquist Corbett: email@example.com or YALS President, Sylvie Brikiatis: firstname.lastname@example.org.
From: Kirsten Rundquist Corbett, YALS Past President, 2014
Check out the newest program idea added to the “Teen Programs That Work” web page!
Submitted by Danny Arsenault: Head of Teen Services, George H. & Ella M. Rodgers Memorial Library (Hudson, NH)
The 2014 Flume Award winner is:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The 2015 Flume Award nominees are:
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
The Selection by Kiera Kass
Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
Winger by Andrew Smith
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Brochures and Bookmarks are on the Flume webpage.
If you haven’t already heard…
Nominees for the 2014-2015 award are:
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Strike 3, You’re Dead by Josh Berk
Blink Once by Cylin Busby
The Obsidian Mirror by Catherine Fisher
The Paladin Prophecy by Mark Frost
Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz, and Jack & Ruth Gruener
In the After by Dimitria Lunetta
Starters by Lissa Price
Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
Counting by 7’s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
Reboot by Amy Tintera
Heartbreak Messenger by Alexander Vance
Muckers by Sandra Neil Wallace
What’s Left of Me by Kat Zhang